Print this page
Smyrna Christian Church -- Lee Delbridge, Minister
910 Concord Road SE -- Smyrna, Georgia 30080 -- 770.435.1723
What Do You Mean "Saved"?
What does it mean to be saved? The story is told of two business men who pass by a church and the sign out front read, “Jesus Saves.” Neither of the men knew very much about Christianity and one man said to the other one, “If Jesus saves I think I will follow His example, go to the bank and open me a saving account.” When we talk about being “saved,” what do we mean. There was a little girl in elementary school and they were learning about antonyms (words opposite in meaning). In class the teacher said that the opposite of “lost” was “found.” The little girl who has been in church all of her life raised her hand and said, the opposite of “lost” is “saved.”
- YOU ARE A SINNER
- Romans 3:23 - "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
- The Bible defines sin in three ways
- Sin is doing wrong. (I John 3:4)
- Sin is failing to do right. (James 4:17)
- Sin is doing something that you think is wrong whether it is wrong or not. (Romans 14:23)
- How many times do you think you sin in one day? How many sins does that add up for one year? So how many sins have you committed in your life? Think about facing God as a judge with that many violations.
- SIN SEPARATES YOU FROM GOD
- The Bible says,
- Isaiah 59:2 - But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He does not hear.
- Romans 6:23a - For the wages of sin is death...
- Death means separation. Physical death is the separation of your spirit from your body. (see James 2:26). Spiritual death is the separation of your spirit from God. (see Revelation 20:14-15)
- One dirty spot on a nice dress prevents you from wearing it. One battery cable disconnected on your car will prevent you from driving it. One sin separates you from God.
- GOD LOVES YOU AND JESUS DIED FOR YOU
- The Bible says,
- Romans 5:8 - But God demonstrated His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
- II Corinthians 5:21 - He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
- Isaiah 53:6 - All of us like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; but the Lord has caused the iniquity of us all to fall on Him."
- God loves you so much that He sent His only Son to take the penalty that you deserve. Jesus took the punishment for your sins upon Himself.
- Picture a book being a record book of your life. The sins recorded there are what separate you from God. Place the book on your right hand, which represents you. Now transfer the book to your left hand, which represents Jesus. Your sins were punished on Jesus!
- YOU MUST RECEIVE JESUS AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR
- John 1:12 - But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name.
- How do I receive Jesus?
- Romans 10:9 - That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved"
- Faith is trusting in, relying and depending upon Jesus alone for your salvation.
- Confession is a public acknowledgment of your faith.
- Acts 2:38 - And Peter said to them, 'Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
- Repentance is a change of the mind caused by a sorrow for sins and leading to a reformation of life.
- Baptism is immersion in water of a repentant believer in Jesus.
- Acts 2:42 - And they were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
- Study the Bible, especially the New Testament
- Fellowship with other Christians, including church attendance
- Breaking of Bread, which is the communion service (the Lord's Supper)
- Prayer, which is talking to God
What does it mean to be saved? Are you saved? Do you know for sure if you were to die today that you would go to heaven? If you are not saved -- today should be the day of salvation for you. Accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior now.
|First Law||Second Law||Third Law||Fourth Law|
|All Have Sinned
||The Result of Sin is Separation from God
||God Loves You and Jesus Died for You
||You Must Accept Jesus as Your Personal Lord and Savior
© 2000 Lee Delbridge
<< Prev |